Friday, August 26, 2011

Bone Density Alert: Cell Phones

This week I had a DEXA scan to monitor my bone density.  The results were a mixed bag:  the reading for my spine was the best it had ever been, a 10% improvement over two years ago but the numbers for my hips were worse, slipping out of the normal range into osteopenia.  After doing some research i learned that there was new research relevant to my situation.

Dr. Fernando  D. Sravi of National University of Cuyo, Mendoza, Argentina tested a group of 24 healthy men who usually carried their cell phones on their belts at the right hip and 24 who did not.  The results, though not statistically significant, showed that the cell phone carriers had lower bone mineral density on the the right side than on the left and that the difference was greater for those who carried the phones for more hours.  He concluded, "The different asymmetries between right and left hip dual-energy x-ray absorptiometry values in nonusers and mobile phone users suggest that these devices may adversely affect bone mineralization."

For a couple of years I have been listening to music on my cell phone when I exercise at the Y.  I put my cell phone on my belt and pick up a signal through blue tooth headphones.  From now on I'm going to put the cell phone on the other side of the room.

No comments :

Post a Comment