Saturday, December 31, 2011

New Year's Resolution: Block Out Negative Self-Talk

We all have them:  interior prompts that chatter on during every waking moment, some of them friendly and encouraging, others negative, put-down voices that attempt to undermine our best efforts. “You’re old – you can’t expect to do what you did twenty years ago.”  “Working out is too exhausting.” “You might get injured if you lift weights.”  “It’s too much trouble to prepare a real meal; easier to open a box of cookies.”  Sometimes these comments turn into extended monologues that capture our attention for minutes at a time.  Lately I have discovered a technique for turning off unwanted voices:  I say, “Quack, quack, quack!”  If I’m not in a public place I say it out loud.  Then I laugh.   

No comments :

Post a Comment